Launch Zone, the second round of I’m an Astronaut, Get me out of here begins on the 7th of December, with students from 25 schools located all over the country connecting with the Astro Support Team!
From 7th–18th December, schools students will challenge the scientists, medic, engineer and flight controller who make up the Astro Support Team through fast-paced live chats and probing questions, before voting for their favourite Team member.
For the latest news and announcements about I’m an Astronaut, along with the occasional highly relevant GIF, follow @iaagmooh on Twitter and look out for the hashtag #Principia.
Let’s meet the schools and the Astro Support Team who’ll be interacting in the Launch Zone…
The Astro Support Team
Simon Challis | Flight Director
I’m part of Mission Control in Munich, looking after the Columbus Module and the ISS crew! I will be ‘on-console’ during Tim’s Mission.
Julia Attias | PhD Student at King’s College London
I am researching the Gravity-Loading Countermeasure Skinsuit, which aims to re-create gravity through the body, in an attempt to help keep astronauts’ bodies protected from losing muscle and bone. Andreas Mogensen tested it on the International Space Station in September 2015 it may be that the skinsuit is involved in missions which may involve Tim in the future
Delma Childers | Postdoctoral Research Assistant at University of Edinburgh
I work on an experiment on the Principia mission which looks at how microbes grow in space and why this is different from how they grow on Earth. This will help us find ways to use microbes to perform tasks for us on Earth and in space, such as mining for scarce resources.
Andrew Winnard | PhD student at Northumbria University
I am a space researcher investigating a device called FRED which we hope will help astronauts avoid back problems after they come back from space. I also worked at the European Astronaut Centre where all the European astronauts train and get medical support and this is where I first met Tim Peake.
Alex Finch | Engineer at Halley Research Station
I’m a spacecraft engineer who is living with penguins, working out how to do science in the coldest, most isolated and space-like place on Earth.
- Allenton Community Primary School, Allenton
- Allestree Woodlands School, Allestree
- Blackfen School For Girls, Sidcup
- Bulmershe School, Reading
- Darrick Wood Secondary School, Orpington
- Derwent Community School, Derby
- Downend School, Downend
- Fowey River Academy, Fowey
- Hillcrest School and Community College, Netherton
- Kingsmead Academy, Taunton
- Marlfields Primary Academy, Congleton
- Matravers School, Westbury
- Melksham Oak Community School, Melksham
- Park Junior School, Wellingborough
- Prendergast Vale College, Lewisham
- Rainham Mark Grammar School, Gillingham
- Smithycroft Secondary School, Glasgow
- St Bede’s RC Primary, Jarrow
- St Mary’s RC Primary School, Morecambe
- The Cooper School, Bicester
- The Folkestone Academy, Folkestone
- Trinity Church of England School, Belvedere
- Walbottle Campus, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
- Whitdale Primary, Whitburn
- Whitmore Primary School, London