The Touchdown Zone, the fourth round of I’m an Astronaut, Get me out of here, begins on the 13th of June, with students from 25 schools located all over the country connecting with the Astro Support Team!
From 13th–24th June, school students will challenge the Astro Support Team through fast-paced live chats and probing questions, before voting for their favourite Team member.
The Astro Support Team
I’m a Mechatronic Engineer working at the European Astronaut Centre as an ISS Flight Controller.
We have to have a good technical overview of all of the experiments and also be good friends with the astronauts
Using artificial gravity to make a human mission to Mars possible is the main goal and focus of my research.
If you’ve ever seen Apollo 13, and remember all the people on the ground, talking into headsets, staring at telemetry, and fixing problems… Well, that’s our job! We’re the Columbus Operations team, made up of Flight Directors, Flight and Ground Controllers – representing the operations experts on the ground ready to support Tim in all his ESA activities on board the International Space Station.
I spent 2 years at the Human Research Office at ESTEC, ESA, as Young Graduate Trainee. I’ll be looking at the Functional Readaptive Exercise Device (FRED) as a rehabilitation tool for low back pain in astronauts and the general population.
I worked at the European Space Agency (ESA) and the German Aerospace Centre (DLR). At ESA, I helped design the Skinsuit and conducted a study on future EVA suit design. At DLR I worked on ISS operations, writing astronaut procedures and guiding astronauts through experiments.
- Adel Primary School, Leeds
- All Saints Catholic College Specialist in Humanities, Huddersfield
- Berkshire College of Agriculture, Maidenhead
- Chaddesden Park Primary School, Derby
- Colchester Academy, Colchester
- Cooper and Jordan Church of England Primary School, Walsall
- Dumbarton Academy, Dumbarton
- Dunblane High School, Dunblane
- Ferndown Middle School, Ferndown
- Fulham Boys School, London
- Howard of Effingham School, Leatherhead
- Morecambe and Heysham Westgate Primary School, Morecambe
- Muirfield Primary Aberdeen, Aberdeen
- Ormiston Maritime Academy, Grimsby
- Parkhall Integrated College, Antrim
- Sir Joseph Williamson’s Mathematical School, Rochester
- Somervale School Specialist Media Arts College, Radstock
- Spring Brook School, Oldham
- St Katherine’s School, Bristol
- St Mary’s Catholic School, Bishop’s Stortford
- St Michael’s RC Primary School, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- St Ursula’s Convent School, London
- Tendring Technology College, Frinton-on-Sea
- The Highfield School, Letchworth Garden City
- Trinity CofE High School, Manchester